How to Re-Cover Dining Chairs | DIY Reupholstery Project
Today we will be brightening up our Dining Room by doing a DIY Reupholstery Project of Re-Covering the Dining Table Chairs! By taking about 3 yards of Upholstery, (depending on the Fabric Pattern, as well as the Number & Size of your chairs, you may require more or less) you can create a Fresh New Look for your Dining Room that will last for years to come. It’s a Quick & Fun way to change up the look of your Dining Table Set and is a Money Saving way to bring new life to your Dining Room!
This How to Re-Cover Dining Chairs | DIY Reupholstery Project is Gone Over, Step By Step In This Video On YouTube. Check It Out By Following The Link Below!
- @ 3 yards of Upholstery Fabric (*see Notes below)
- Staple Gun
- Staples (1/2" or as designated for your Staple Gun)
- Cutting Mat
- Measuring Tape
- Screwdriver (depending on how the Chair Cushion is attached to the Chair Frame)
- Determine what (if any) design focal point you would like to be centered on the Seat Cushion of your Dining Chair.
- Measure the Seat Cushion Length x Width and add @ 6" to each dimension (@ 3" for each side of the chair).
- Cut the Upholstery Fabric to the desired size and number needed to Re-Cover your Dining Chairs.
- Flip the Dining Chair upside down and remove the Screws that secure the Chair Cushion Board to the Chair Frame and place the Screws aside.
- Remove the Chair Cushion Board from the Frame and place the Prepared Upholstery Fabric Portion over the Cushion in the position you would like.
- Secure the fabric firmly to the Chair Cushion Board on the underside of the seat with Staples using a Staple Gun. Create pleats or gather slightly as necessary to ensure a smooth and tight appearance to the edging of the chair. (*see Notes below)
- Flip the Re-Covered Chair Cushion right side up and make sure it looks how you would like it to.
- Place the Re-Covered Chair Cushion upside down again and cut any excess fabric, past where you stapled, as necessary to make a clean, flat underside of the Chair Seat.
- Align the Dining Chair Frame back over the Chair Cushion Board and re-secure the Frame to the Seat with the Screws previously set aside.
- Continue on each Dining Chair until all have been Re-Covered and Viola! A Fresh Look for your Dining Table Set & Dining Room!
- Enjoy your Renewed Dining Space!
- Depending on the Fabric Pattern, as well as the Number & Size of your chairs, you may require more or less Upholstery Fabric. A tightly patterned material such as a Stripe or Smaller Focal Point Design would possibly require less material. But 3 Yards of Upholstery Fabric covered my 8 Large Seat Size Chairs with a Large Focal Point Pattern nicely with little waste. If you have more than 8 Chairs, add yards of Upholstery as necessary.
- It helps to start by securing the Upholstery Fabric to the middle of each side of the Chair Seat (Front, Back, Left, Right Sides) with a staple and then move to the corners of the Dining Chair Cushion areas. Next you can work your way around until all of the Upholstery is attached to the Dining Chair Cushion Board securely.
Spruce up your current Dining Chairs or perhaps give a renewed look to a used set you may have purchased from a Thrift Store or Rummage Sale – it will look as good (or better) as new!
I have provided links below for the supplies shown in the How to Card and video Above. As well as similar Dining Tables, Chairs & Sets that may help add some Fresh touches to your Dining Room & Home!
Helpful items for How to Re-Cover Dining Chairs | DIY Reupholstery Project as well as Around the House & Yard:
- Fiskars Crafts Cutting Set (Cutting Mat, Ruler & Rotary Cutter) – https://amzn.to/3Mg9aa5
- Arrow Powershot Stapler – https://amzn.to/45g5xbs
- Arrow Lightweight Comfort Grip Staple Gun, Manual – https://amzn.to/3BIpwSU
- Arrow ET501C Cordless 5-In-1 Professional Staple and Nail Gun, Battery Powered – https://amzn.to/3WhYmf1
- ½” T50 Staples – https://amzn.to/42V5YGI
- Signature Design by Ashley (Haddigan) Dark Wood Dining Table with extension (Seats up to 8) – https://amzn.to/3BhO8RY
- Signature Design by Ashley (Hammis) Dark Wood Dining Chairs (Set of 2) – https://amzn.to/41Gp6qJ
- Signature Design by Ashley (Rokane) Dining Table Set (Table & 6 Chairs) – https://amzn.to/3BhVFjY
What are some of your favorite Home Decor DIY Projects?
Leave some of your favorite Home Decor DIY Projects you completed in the comments section below!
Check Out More On Homemade Items, Money Saving Tips & Other Topics On My YouTube Channel!
If you’re new to the channel or haven’t done so yet, please click the Subscribe button for my YouTube Channel. It is a great way to stay up to date & be notified about new videos as they are released!! Also, please click the Thumbs Up button if you enjoyed the video – it really helps my channel!
Check out my Etsy Shop where I have Handy Items for the
Home, Garden, Organization, Kitchen & Canning!
Check Out What Else Is Happening on The Homestead
- Spring Renewal – Quick Bedroom Refresh
- Spring & Summer Dining Room Renewal | Simple Centerpieces to Spruce Up the Dining Table
- How to Make Homemade Candles | Homemade Gift Ideas
- Christmas Tree Decorate with Me | Trim the Tree in an 1880’s Style | Simple & Elegant Christmas Tree
- Winter Dining Room Centerpiece & Christmas Tablescape | Holiday Decorating